Common Question

Application for admission into a provincially regulated long-term care facility can only be made through a Community Care Access Centre. Please contact the office of the CCAC in your area to make an appointment with a Care Coordinator/Case Manager. Your Case Manager will answer your questions; help with the application form; arrange the necessary assessments to make sure you are eligible for long-term care and give you the information you need to make this important decision.
Your Case Manager can also provide you with assistance in accessing community support services that may help you while you await placement. While the application process is done via the CCAC, we welcome your visits anytime.
In order to qualify to move to a long-term care facility, a person must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Possess a valid Ontario Health Card
  • Have health care needs that cannot be met with any combination of care giving or community based services in the home
  • Have health care needs that can be met in a long-term care facility

If you are deemed ineligible and you feel that you are eligible, you have the legal right to appeal the assessment of ineligibility.

If you choose to start the appeal process, your Care Coordinator/Case Manager at the CCAC in your area can give you the appropriate phone numbers and contact names.

(Also see the “Rights Information Sheet” in the Placement Application Form.)

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for the care you receive, but you must pay for the accommodation costs shown below. The accommodation rates are adjusted annually by the Ministry and are standard across Ontario. Long-term care facilities cannot refuse admission to eligible individuals based solely on their inability to pay for accommodation.
Accommodation Daily Rate Monthly Rate

  • Basic $58.35/Day or $1,774.81/ Month    ß this needs to be updated every year
  • Private $83.35/Day or $2,535.23/Month
If you do not have enough income to pay for the basic room, the government can help you through a subsidy that will bring the cost down to a level you can pay. The subsidy is not available for privateIf you wish to apply for a subsidy, you must provide your Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada, which provides proof of your annual income. You receive a Notice of Assessment each year after filing your income tax return. If you cannot find your Notice of Assessment, you can call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281 and you will be sent the information you need.Applying for a subsidy requires you to disclose only your annual yearly income. It does not include the value of your assets.
If a large portion of your pension income will be going towards payment for the facility and leaving your spouse with little or no income, call the Income Security Program at 1-800-277-9914 for further information.
A person who holds a Power of Attorney has legal authority to make decisions on your behalf if you become incapable of doing so yourself. There are two forms of Power of AttorneyPower of Attorney for Property and Power of Attorney for Personal Care.
The first acts for you with respect to finances, the second with respect to your medical and housing needs. If you haven’t already assigned someone as your Power of Attorney, it is probably the right time to do so. You can assign each Power of Attorney to the same individual or to different people. Those you appoint should be individuals you trust, who know your preferences and will act upon them, even in stressful situations.

You can obtain a copy of the Power of Attorney kit by contacting:

Ministry of the Attorney General Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee

595 Bay Street, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5G 2M6

Telephone: 416-314-2800

Toll-free: 1-800-366-0335

Fax: 416-314-2698

The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee is also available to advise you if you do not have a designated Power of Attorney.

It is important for the Community Care Access Centre to have the most up-to-date medical information (as well as financial and social information) to make sure that you are eligible for admission to your chosen facilities. We want to make sure that when we offer you accommodation, it will be a good fit with your personal care needs. You do not have to pay your Health Report to be completed.
If you decide to turn down a bed offer at any of your facility choices, you will be removed from all waiting lists. If you are in your own home, or other accommodation in the community, you may re-apply in six months; sooner if there is a change in your condition or situation. People already in long-term care facilities will also be removed from all waiting lists if a bed offer in another facility is refused, but there is no time limit on when they may re-apply.
Again, if you refuse a bed offer, you will be removed from all waiting lists. If you decide to accept the bed offer and move into the facility, you will not be removed from the waiting lists of those facilities you rated as higher choices. When a bed becomes available, a Care Coordinator/Case Manager will contact you with another bed offer.